Theme, Big Ideas, Purposeful Talk, Accountable Talk, Comprehension, Read Aloud
Quality open-ended comprehension questions take time to develop. No-Nonsense Teaching has done the time-consuming work for you.
Varmints by Helen Ward is a fascinating read aloud which asks us to reflect upon the effects urbanization has on the environment.
This resource includes scaffolded questions to help guide children in thinking deeply about the text and understanding the theme or big ideas.
The questions are intended to be used in conjunction with purposeful talk strategies.
By purchasing additional licences at half-price, these questions are incredibly valuable to:
* include in a school's book room
* use the questions for discussion purposes at PLCs
* Literacy Coaches, Consultants and support teachers
* Administrators to lead PLCs and offer suggestions and book choices
Different question options are provided rather than fully scripted lessons. The teacher has the flexibility to determine the exact lessons for each day based on the needs of their learners.
* open-ended comprehension questions that require high-level thinking
* suggested flow of a lesson broken into BEFORE, DURING and AFTER reading
* enough questions for teachers to use the book over a three day period
* instructions for the following purposeful talk strategies: Turn and Talk, Think/Pair/Share and Inside-Outside Circle
* classroom display idea that assists children in recalling, connecting and comparing themes/big ideas from different books
* Theme labels ready for display