Would you like your students to FINALLY understand Theme? Teach your students about the themes they encounter in literature with this complete NO PREP lesson designed for easy, effective teaching of this difficult topic. This complete lesson, created with teens in mind, includes a beautiful PowerPoint Presentation, Answer Key, Guided Notes for students to complete, Small Group Activity (creating themes from topics), and three Essential Questions (that can be used as a formative assessment after the lesson.) Vibrant photos make learning interesting.
Your students will understand what themes are, the difference between themes and topics, why writers use themes, and why identifying them is important for readers. All you need to do is copy the handouts for the students, display the presentation, and GO!
This resource includes:
Themes in Literature PowerPoint Presentation
• Three Essential Questions
• What is a Theme?
• Themes are NOT Topics or Subjects
• Themes Based on the Topic “Life”
• Topic and Theme Examples
• Explicit vs. Implicit
• Why Do Writers Use Themes in their Stories?
• Why Should Readers Care About Themes?
• YOU DO! Turn Topics Into Themes (Student Activity)
• YOU DO! Turn Topics Into Themes – Examples
• Four Steps to Determine Theme: Intro
-- Step 1. Analyze Characters
-- Step 2. Question Plot Incidents
-- Step 3. Assess Symbols
-- Step 4. Consider Everything
•YOU DO! Three Essential Questions
Guided Notes Handouts for the Presentation
• For Students: Three-page Handout that students complete as you show them the Themes in Literature PPT presentation
• For Teachers: Guided Notes Answer Key (Yay!)
You Might Also Like
How to Infer and Make Inference Statements with Very Short Stories
Bell Ringers Class Openers for Any High School or Middle School Classroom
Reward and Recognition Certificates: Give Them a High Five!
Be sure to click the star above to follow my store! You'll be the first to hear about my newest creative, time-saving, rigorous resources.
Thank you for shopping at my store!
Copyright Secondary Strategies; license for one classroom use only. Please use the multiple licensing option for additional classrooms. Thank you!