Also included in
- Imagine having a complete set of resources to take you through the year that target standards in a kid-friendly way? This print and digital Reading Bundle contains 10 essential reading units for 4th and 5th graders to help your students increase their reading comprehension. Everything you need is in$45.00$69.00Save $24.00
Looking for a way to help your students truly understand how to find the theme of a story? This print and digital unit can help! It's packed with lots of targeted theme practice with everything you need to teach students how to identify the theme of a piece of fiction. It includes a variety of activities with 7 passages including Aesop's Fables, Folktales from Around the World, Legends and a Myth. It also has a set of 32 task cards, handouts, graphic organizers, a picture book list, and 21 theme posters.
7 Literature Passages (with questions and keys): The digital version comes in Google Slides (open-ended questions with text boxes) AND in Google Forms (multiple choice and self-grading)
The Golden Goose and the Milkmaid - Paired Aesop's Fables
Impossible - Paired Aesop's Fables
It Could Always Be Worse – Jewish Folktale
The Wolf in Sheep's Clothing and Wolf Poetry – Paired Passages
The Wise Old Owl – Native American Legend
Anansi and the Wisdom Pot - Folktale from West Africa
Pandora's Box – Greek Myth
32 Task Cards (and a student record sheet and key)
21 Theme Posters
2 Common Theme Handouts
3 Graphic Organizers
Mentor Book List for Themes
Elements of a Fairy Tale Handout
Writing Page for Fairy Tales
Elements of a Fable Handout
Writing Page for Fables
SAVE MORE and GET MORE with the Reading Bundle for 4th and 5th Grade!!! (Click Here) It has 10 key reading units which cover many 4th and 5th reading standards!
Here are the units included in the Reading Bundle for 4th and 5th Grade!
Why you'll love this resource:
- It includes theme passages which are high-interest ones your students will enjoy, like Anansi and the Wisdom Pot!
- It comes in a digital format that works well in the classroom, for homeschool, and for distance learning.
- Some of the passages are short paired texts on a single page.
- There are a variety of formats included from passages, to posters, task cards, a mentor text list, graphic organizers, writing pages, and more!
- The theme posters allow you to chart the themes of books you read as a class (or individually) for the whole year, allowing you to spiral learning!
- The task cards have 32 mini-passages which are lots of fun and have a variety of themes!
- The printables are low prep for busy teachers!
- It may be used in a number of ways from guided reading, to reader's workshop, independent work, literacy centers, exit slips, homework, whole class games, test prep, and more!!!
Want more theme materials? I also have two digital reading units for Theme that have completely original content. These paperless units are created for Google Slides™ with moveable drag and drop pieces. They also work in OneNote if you open the Google Slides™ file as a PowerPoint. Students really love these!
Also, I do want to suggest a great set of reading games that would go well with this reading unit. There is a game for EACH READING STANDARD!!! It comes in a set of 10 for fiction, a set of 10 for nonfiction, or a bundle of 20 reading games specifically for 4th and 5th grades!
Here are some reading games related to theme:
Finally, if you like my work, I would love for you to follow me by clicking on the green star at the top of the page.
©The Teacher Next Door™
Purchasing this product grants permission for use by one teacher in his or her own classroom or for one homeschool parent teaching his/her child. If you would like to share with others, please purchase additional licenses.
This resource may only be placed on a password-protected website for your students, like Google Classroom™. It may not be placed anywhere else on the internet, on a class or school website visible to the public, or on a district server. Please email me if you have any questions: email@example.com.