This file includes multiple activities for the short story "There Will Come Soft Rains" by Ray Bradbury. These activities will provide an anticipatory set, assess comprehension, evaluate understanding (and application to real life), and study grammar in context.
Included in this short story packet for "There Will Come Soft Rains":
→ A complete lesson plan to walk the teacher through the process.
→ The anticipatory questions along with nonfiction reading and video sources to help students connect the story to their lives.
→ A pre-reading and reading chart. The first part draws on their prior knowledge; the second part is for note taking during reading.
→ A reading quiz - ten questions. The quiz has 10 multiple questions (each one has three possible answers) focusing on comprehension.
→ A mentor sentence activity. This covers ten sentences from the story with portions underlined. Students will decide if the underlined portions are phrases or clauses, and what types. Higher-level thinking questions provided.
→ A list of literary devices and their examples from the story.
→ Analysis of the poem "There Will Come Soft Rains" by Sara Teasdale.
These activities for "There Will Come Soft Rains" are pictured in the thumbnail.
Suggestions for teaching "There Will Come Soft Rains" are outlined in a 3-page lesson plan. This takes me a full two days to teach.
These activities and lesson plans for "There Will Come Soft Rains" are both in editable and not-editable formats.
• Marigolds by Eugenia W. Collier: Quiz, Mentor Sentences, Writing
• Poison by Roald Dahl: Quiz, Mentor Sentences, Graphic Organizer
• The Colomber by Dino Buzzati Quiz, Activities, Mentor Sentences
• The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry Quiz, Mentor Sentences, Graphic Organizer
• The Lady or the Tiger by Frank Stockton: Pre-Reading, Quiz, Mentor Sentence
• The Monkey's Paw by W. W. Jacobs: Mentor Sentences, Quiz, and Writing Activities
• The Necklace by Guy de Maupassant Questions, Mentor Sentences, and Activities
• The Scarlet Ibis by James Hurst: Quiz, Mentor Sentences, and Activities
• Wine on the Desert by Max Brand: Vocabulary, Writing, Graphic Organizer