The successful attorney sways the jury with his powerful words. The “Salesman of the Year” perfects his craft by using a thesaurus to describe and promote his product. No matter what career someone chooses, the choice of words is so influential regarding communication and ultimate success. So no wonder, the “thesaurus” is stressed so often in our Core Curriculum State Standards. The thesaurus is like a magician’s tool for a writer to transform boring everyday words into empowering masterpieces. Please give that tool to your students.
“Thesaurus Metamorphosis” by Melissa Donovan offers countless vivid word-seeking opportunities I’ve given my students for years to empower their writing and captivate their audiences. Besides sprucing-up students’ writing, the habitual process of looking up words in a thesaurus increases a student’s vocabulary repertoire most dramatically. Included in this product is a graphic-organizing word log which involves looking up only six words a week and then using the new and more empowering words found. This activity alone will generate learning an average of 40+ words a week or 1600+ words a school year!
The enclosed worksheets include 30+ days worth of thesaurus application activities which are conducive to stations, independent use, whole class assignments, and groups.
Below are some of the main worksheets and activities you’ll find—filled with answer keys and examples.
• Thesaurus Crossword Puzzle
• “The Making of a Haunted House with ‘Spookacular’ Wording”
• “Time for Spruced-up Sentences”
• “Working with Word Choice” in three pieces of engaging text
• “Creating a Most Vivid Picture for the Reader”—working with pictures, powerful words, and sentences.
• “Working with Word Choice” in three longer pieces of text
• Rewriting three engaging longer pieces of text using better word choices
• “Helping Grandma with her Restaurant Menu”
• “Creating Your own Specialty Shop and Advertisement”
• “New Word THEASAURUS Pursuit and Use” worksheet (ongoing use over and over)
• Easy Daily word log setup page
• A graphic organizer and running log, which will generate 40+ words a week.
My students thoroughly enjoyed these assignments and begged to share. I wish you the same success and joy. Until next time!
Melissa J. Donovan
by MJ Donovan
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License