Thinking About Theme and Making Connections across Texts
These graphic organizers will help your students learn about theme and making connections across texts. I used these with Bridge to Terabithia, but they can be used with any fiction text. Here’s a quick outline of my lessons. Each lesson was applied to Bridge to Terebithia and their independent reading books. Each lesson spanned more than one day.
• Using a song to read for subtext
• Reading for subtext to think about theme
• Identifying and supporting emerging themes using direct quotes and supporting details.
• Making Connections across texts.
• Writing long about themes and connections
Common Core Aligned!