Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing. How to unzip files.
41.33 MB | 65 pages
The lessons in this unit teach ten critical thinking skills required for fluency in the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) and College and Career Readiness (CCR) anchor standards in English Language Arts. When students become fluent with these thinking skills, they will be able to transfer the skills to any content area. We’ve taken important concepts we know students need in
order to be successful with CCSS and in a classroom (and in life, by the way); we then embedded those concepts into a relatable and meaningful unit of study for students. By using their own lives
as a vehicle to teach this first week of school unit, we create an atmosphere in our classrooms of collaboration, invitation & innovation.
All ten lessons in this unit:
- align to CCSS
- follow rigorous, relevant, brain-compatible instructional, planning and assessment methods
- support classroom community building and social emotional development for adolescents
- include performance tasks that reflect those found in Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium
(SBAC) and Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers (PARCC)
Included with this item:
- How & why we think this will help you & your students transition to CCSS
- Elements of each lesson & a rationale for why we included each
- A list of simple materials, resources, and classroom management strategies that would be helpful to have on hand while teaching the unit
- Unit overview, or a one-page quick look at the entire unit
- Lesson plans (10 lessons total)
- Appendix of all printable materials included in unit, including exit cards, checklist & rubric
Please visit our blog (justgivemethefish.tumblr.com) or our website (jgmtf.com), where we’re always putting up great new products (you may even find a discount!), talking about our transition to teaching CCSS, and sharing any new teaching tricks we’ve learned. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to email us; we love making new teacher buddies... and we hope you love our product!