Introduction to Fractions: Third Grade
3.NF.1: Understand a fraction 1/b as the quantity formed by 1 part when a whole is partitioned into b equal parts; understand a fraction a/b as the quantity formed by a parts of size 1/b
Thank you for taking the time to look at my Introduction to Fractions Bundle! I hope that this helps you in your students’ fraction learning! This lesson pack is specifically geared towards third graders, but it could be used in other grades as well. The zipped folder has 11 items in it. In this bundle, you will be getting the following resources;
1. Three “Quick Introduction” activities to be used the three days leading up to the actual Fractions Using Pattern Blocks PowerPoint Lesson. These are available in two formats; Smart Notebook file (if you do not have this program, these will not open) and also as a PDF.
2. Fractions Using Pattern Blocks PowerPoint Lesson. Prepare bags of pattern blocks prior to this lesson. I had each of my students fill a sandwich bag with 4 hexagons, 8 rhombuses, 4 trapezoids, and 10 triangles.
3. First Day Quick Fraction Assessment- a quick 6 question summative assessment.
4. Follow-up Activity: Cut and Paste activity- Matching the word form, picture form, and fraction form. This activity was an extension I made to help my students, specifically my English Language Learners (ELLs), with matching all three forms of fractions. I found that they specifically had trouble with the word form of the fractions during the lesson, this activity was made to address that.
5. Sample Lesson Plan Written in an I Do, We Do, You Do format.