These I can statements for Science and Social Studies match Ohio's New Learning Standards for third grade. These are great to have posted in the classroom to match the standards you are teaching!
They match the following standards:
1.Events in local history can be shown on timelines organized by years, decades, and centuries.
2.Primary sources, such as artifacts, maps and photographs, can be used to show change over time.
3. Local communities change over time.
4. Physical and political maps have distinctive characteristics and purposes. Places can be located on a map by using the title, key, alphanumeric grid and cardinal directions.
5. Daily life is organized by the agriculture, industry and natural resources in different communities.
6. Evidence of human modification of the environment can be observed in the local community.
7. Systems of transportation and communication move people, products and ideas from place to place.
8. Communities may include diverse cultural groups.
9. Members of local communities have social and political responsibilities.
10.Individuals make the community a better place by solving problems in a way that promotes the common good.
11. Laws are rules which apply to all people in a community and describe ways people are expected to behave. Laws promote order and security, provide public services and protect the rights of individuals in the local community.
12. Governments have authority to make and enforce laws.
13. The structure of governments may differ from one community to another.
14. Line graphs are used to show changes in data over time.
15. Both positive and negative incentives affect people’s choices and behaviors.
16. Individuals must make decisions because of the scarcity of resources. Making a decisions involves an opportunity cost, the value of the next best alternative given up when an economic choice is made.
17. A consumer is a person whose wants are satisfied by using goods and services. A producers makes goods and/or provides services.
18. A market is where buyers and sellers exchange goods and services.
19.Making decisions involves weighing costs and benefits.
20.A budget is a a plant to help people make personal economic decisions for the present and future to become more financially responsible.
1.Earth’s nonliving resources have specific properties.
2.Earth’s resources can be used for energy.
3.Some of Earth’s resources are limited.
1.Offspring resemble their parents and each other.
2.Individuals of the same kind differ in their traits and sometimes the differences give individuals an advantage in surviving and reproducing.
3.Plants and animals have life cycles that are part of their adaptations for survival in their natural environment.
1.All objects and substances in the natural world are composed of matter.
2.Matter exists in different states, each of which has different properties.
3.Heat, electrical energy, light, sound, and magnetic energy are forms of energy.
These are both included in my large third grade Social Studies and Science bundles. Check them out below!
Third Grade Science Pack
Third Grade Social Studies Pack