Products in this Bundle (4)
“WOW!!! This bundle has EVERYTHING you need to teach vocabulary throughout the entire year. Very detailed lessons and great graphic organizers.” - Casey K.
A robust vocabulary is fundamental! Without it, students will struggle with reading comprehension, writing, and even understanding the instructions for standardized testing. The solution is simple: by increasing your students’ vocabulary words and skills, you’ll set them up for overall school success. But how?
I researched many blog posts and books about vocabulary and word acquisition and distilled all of it into my Not So Wimpy Teacher vocabulary system. My system is simple and manageable for the classroom, yet powerful. It will get your students excited about word study!
This bundle has EVERYTHING you need to teach, practice, and assess vocabulary for a full year! It brings together all four of my vocabulary units for 3rd grade. Each one covers nine weeks for a total of 36 weeks of vocabulary instruction!
Bought separately, all four units would cost $40. So this bundle is an incredible value!
How It Works
Each unit has a weekly plan and detailed directions for teaching vocabulary each day of the week. For each week, I’ve selected high-frequency words from grade level texts and tests. So your students will learn tier-2 words they’ll absolutely encounter in text and on standardized testing.
- 4 vocabulary units that are each taught over 9 weeks (for a total of 36 weeks, or, a full year!)
- A weekly plan for teaching vocabulary with detailed directions for each day of the week
- 5 tier-2 vocabulary words for each week of the year (that’s a total of 180 words!)
- A weekly teacher guide with the 5 weekly words, definitions, synonyms, antonyms, sentences, and parts of speech
- A student vocabulary list for each week with student-friendly definitions of the 5 weekly words
- A weekly “wow!” word that focuses on prefixes and suffixes and their meanings
- Vocabulary word cards for each week that can be used as a flash card, in a pocket chart, or for vocabulary socials (directions included) and games
- Every-other-week assessments that covers 10 words
- Assessment answer keys
- Student data-tracking forms to keep a record of student growth and intervention needs
- A special lesson plan for week nine to help students review the 40 words they’ve had during the previous eight weeks
- Summative assessments to be given for the end of each unit
- Game boards with directions
- 8 vocabulary task cards that can be used for extra practice in centers or as a fast finisher activity
- Directions for assembling the vocabulary journal
- Cover, dividers, and graphic organizers to be used in the vocabulary journal
Commonly Asked Questions
Q: Where did you find the words?
A: The words are high-frequency words from grade level texts and tests.
Q: What are tier-2 words?
A: Tier-2 words are words that students will see often, but need to be taught. They are not content-specific such as math and science vocabulary. Instead they are words that students will see over and over in their books and on standardized tests.
Q: What do you do with the words from the reading curriculum?
A: Honestly, I used those words for practice with context clues rather than memorization. I found that they were not words that students were regularly seeing in their books anyway. If you do need to add in your basal words, they could easily be added to the vocabulary journal. They just would not appear in the pre-made assessments.
The following units are included in this bundle:
Also available for:
If you are looking for more information about how I teach vocabulary in my classroom, check out this post: