This is a 5th grade Common Core math performance assessment in which students must help their teacher create a plan to purchase new flooring for a house that fits within a certain budget.
Activities are as follows:
1. Calculate the area of 6 rooms in the house (multiplying with double digits and decimals).
2. Select flooring appropriate for the room and calculate an estimate for the total cost (rounding, multiplication, and addition).
3. Adjust numbers to fit within a budget.
4. Calculate the exact cost of the flooring (multiplication and addition of decimals).
5. Use estimates to check answers (attend to precision).