Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
This is America by Childish Gambino (aka Donald Glover) Common Core-Aligned Video Symbolism and Analysis Activities for Grades 10-12
This zipped file includes materials to help you use Childish Gambino's viral video to inspire important discussions in your classroom. The contents include:
1. Brief history lesson presentation (editable Powerpoint and PDF files) - this 62-slide presentation covers the following topics: Black Codes and Jim Crow laws, Jim Crow minstrels, black entertainment & cultural appropriation, institutionalized racism, media bias, gun control, gun violence, the new Jim Crow (mass incarceration of black Americans).
2. Presentation prompt for video analysis of "This is America" (editable Powerpoint and PDF files)
3. Student handouts (editable in Google Drive and PDF file): several different prompts and forms for analysis, as well as a list of discussion questions and terms from the presentation. Includes a compare/contrast assignment with "Strange Fruit" and a persuasive writing prompt (with grading rubrics).
4. Comprehensive teacher's guide with answer keys (PDF) - 30+ pages include a pacing guide, extensive video analysis that covers tone/mood, theme, symbolism, creator's purpose, and intended audience.
5. Editable Permission Slip - The video depicts extreme and disturbing violence, drug references, and inappropriate language. It may NOT be suitable for your students. Because of the content of the video, I included an editable permission slip.
These materials can be used alone or as enrichment for one of your existing units.
All activities are aligned to the Common Core State Standards.
This includes a LINK to the video and lyrics (neither are included for copyright purposes).
These materials are not affiliated with Childish Gambino/Donald Glover or any of his associates or affiliates. They are for educational purposes only.
Created by ©Tracee Orman - All rights reserved
You might like: