This unit of celebrating Deaf culture awareness, about Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet, is a perfect fit for the American Sign Language student and a great tool for teaching Deaf culture studies.
This study unit includes a PowerPoint biography of Thomas Gallaudet that highlights his education at Yale and seminary school, his chance encounter with Alice Cogswell resulting in a life changing journey to Europe to study methods for teaching deaf students, and his meeting Laurent Clerc who returned to America with him to establish the first free school for deaf students in America.
Bundle pack also includes:
- Fill-in-the-blank notes students can complete while instructor presents the biography presentation report.
- Several printable handouts
- Project Report - Grading Rubric: fixed, editable & printable
- Questions about Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet that can be answered by reviewing PowerPoint bio presentation and researching further content online.
- Based on the life of Thomas Gallaudet, several RESEARCH PROJECT STARTERS also included that can be used with students to enhance learning of Gallaudet’s life and their awareness of Deaf culture. Research project starters allows greater flexibility for the teacher: students can all work together on one single research project, or each student can choose different topics to work on; solo or in pairs. Outlines to kickstart projects are included and can be recycled from year to year.
** This activity is ONLINE LEARNING FRIENDLY
This is a great resource for your ASL classroom that can be used for all levels of sign language and Deaf culture learning!
Research project themes include:
- Abbe Roch-Ambroise Cucurron Sicard
- American School for the Deaf
- American Sign Language, ASL
- Dr. Mason & Alice Cogswell
- French Sign Language, langue des signes française, LSF
- Laurent Marie Clerc
** Please Follow Me **
Thank you for your interest. Check out all my store products HERE. ASL items Career & Technical Education (CTE) orientated.
Want a free resource for your ASL classroom? DEVELOPING RHETORICALS IN ASL
Please rate my products from your MY PURCHASES tab which earns you TpT credits for future TpT purchases.
Looking for an American Sign Language class to love or to refer? Check us out: www.aslyoucando.com