Please be sure to download the preview file! It shows all of the pages that are included in this product.
I love using Maribeth Boelts' Those Shoes early in the year to introduce my “What do good readers do?” habits. This product contains activities for students in your third through fourth grade class to complete before, during and after reading the text. It can be used as a guided reading or whole-class activity.
While this text is a great read-aloud for first and second graders, the activities are not appropriate for these grade levels.
I hope you’ll love teaching with this text as much as I do. It has an easy-to-relate to plot and is full of all kinds of rich discussion opportunities. It’s especially appropriate for the beginning of the year, when you want to establish your routines and expectations for class discussions and accountable talk.
Please note: the “During reading” page requires teachers to stop reading the text at a specific page of the text. This page is indicated within the product.
The product includes:
• a cover page, perfect if you intend to assign the pages as a booklet
• a “Before reading” page where students anticipate words they’ll find in the text and consider the difference between a want and a need
• a “During reading” page of higher level thinking questions where students are asked to consider the character’s actions, infer and predict
• an “After reading” page where students will reflect on the text
Four “After reading” follow-up activities:
• a page for students to design their own running shoe
• a page for students to use their mapping skills and write directions from Jeremy’s home to his school
• a Venn Diagram where students will compare basketball to hockey
• a plot summary page where students summarize the text by writing an important event from the beginning, middle and end of the text
Pages in this product do not necessarily have to be assembled into a booklet. They would also work very nicely broken up into Literacy Stations.
Due to the nature of the questions and activities included in this product, there is no answer key included. Please do not buy this product if you are looking for “right there” questions and activities and/or an answer key.
Please be sure to download the preview file. It really is the best description of the product. In order for you to be sure this is the right product for you and your grade level, my preview displays all of the pages that are included.
If after purchasing this product, you find there’s a question you’d like swapped for one that better suits your lesson, don’t hesitate to let me know. I’m happy to help and it takes no time at all. I can usually have the revised file back to you within a couple of hours.
Thanks so much for visiting my store!
You might also like:
Student Vacation Journal
Reading Response Mini-Booklet