Here is a three day mini unit. A veteran teacher may use these lessons as a supplement to an existing unit, while a new teacher may see them as a starting point when one feels lost without a clear curriculum. I have also tried to make them so explicit that any sub could follow along and get quality work from your students while you are away.
Each lesson includes the following:
- A detailed lesson plan for a 50 minute classroom with optional Extensions to use in a 90 minute block.
- A 10 minute teacher led mini lesson modeled after Writer’s Workshop with Quick Writes to start off each lesson
- An extension page to allow students to work on reading strategies during the reading
- A link to a web version of the text - I do not own the rights to these short stories so I provide a possible website that has posted the content. You may also find the texts in many middle school English anthologies.
- Scaffolded Reading Comprehension questions aligned to the Common Core ELA Standards
- A writing assessment connected to the story and aligned to the Common Core ELA Standards
- An exit ticket assessing the standard covered in the mini lesson
I hope you find this to be a useful resource for your middle school ELA classroom!
English Middle School Mania