Halloween Horrors-Three Skeleton Key Activity Bundle
This is a 37 page packet of worksheets and other lesson resources designed to be used with the short story, Three Skeleton Key by George Toudouze. This is a hunting story which I use for Halloween. It contains,
1. A text of the story, Three Skeleton Key
2. A reading comprehension activity for parts 1 + 2 of this short story. This contains comprehension questions related to events, passages, and quotes from the story. An answer sheet is included.
3. Word Detective-Vocabulary Evidenced-based Assessment .
a) The main activity is a word attack activity called, Word Detective where students act as vocabulary detectives and try to determine the meaning and part of speech of new words through context. First they will use contextual clues to guess the meaning of new words based on how they are used in actual passages from the story. Then they will use a thesaurus or dictionary to check comprehension and find synonyms for each word. An answer sheet is included.
b) There is also another vocabulary activity for this story and in all 26 vocabulary words are highlighted in this packet. An answer sheet is also included.
4) A Figurative Language Workshop which teaches your students the concepts of figurative language such as simile, metaphor, personification, hyperbole, and allusion.
5) An intermediate figurative language quiz and worksheet with an answer sheet included
6) A challenger figurative language quiz and worksheet with an answer sheet included
7) An active reading graphic organizer to help your students identify and chart the figurative language in this or any other novel as they read. For higher level students, I use this graphic organizer while they read the story
8) An Elements of a Short Story Graphic Organizer and Worksheet. This is a 2 page graphic organizer that will help your students learn about and plot the important elements of any short story. It is also a great companion activity to use when watching a movie. It also has colorful borders and graphics that make it an appealing instructional aide.