This vocabulary guide is for my favorite book: "Thunder Rolling in the Mountains " by Scott O'Dell. I use this book in my 5th grade Language Arts and 4th grade Social Studies units on Pennsylvania Past. Students learn about the Pilgrims and Native Americans at Thanksgiving, so I try to use this book to show another perspective on the interactions between Native Americans and European Settlers.
This PowerPoint presentation was designed to be projected (ideally on a smart board) while you read the story and review the vocabulary. The PowerPoint includes the following activities:
1. Projectable vocabulary for all chapters with images for each word
2. Native American Concepts Graffiti Wall
3. Website links to Images/Videos for some of the content to help build background knowledge
4. Map--Geography practice and to keep track of the path of the tribe
5. Vocabulary inventory slides (not all chapters have new vocabulary)
6. Vocabulary Sorts for two chapters (can be used with iPad apps like "Word Sort Wizard" or "Compare a Twist")
7. Every chapter has a "Listen for..." to set the purpose for reading.
I've made page notes on many of the power point slides to let you know ways that I have used the slide in my class. If you read this story as a read aloud, I recommend playing Native Drum or chant music in the background to set the mood! Check out the sample file -- Enjoy!
Check out my end of unit Museum Project product: