Target Tier II vocabulary with a Thanksgiving-themed game! 180 Tier II vocabulary picture cards are included!
Vocabulary can be classified into three levels, or tiers. Tier II words are high frequency words used by mature language users across content areas. These are versatile vocabulary words. They can be challenging to kids as they’re often met in print, rather than oral language. Understanding of Tier II words is critical to language and academics.
Tier Two Turkeys is a fun game which targets six grade levels of tier two vocabulary (K-5th)! Each grade level has 30 targeted words (which were identified from multiple vocabulary lists). Each word is featured on a card, along with a related picture. When a student draws a card, you you may ask for a definition, real-world example, synonym, antonym, or ask the student to use the word in a sentence.
*Please note: You may use cards for multiple grade levels. Often words are seen across grade-level lists; so it's not essential to adhere to a specific grade level.
1. Give each player a farmer’s field mat (2 included in file- duplicate as needed).
2. Choose target cards and place face down.
3. Take turns, drawing cards. When a card is drawn, you may ask for a definition, real-world example, synonym, antonym, or ask the student to use the word in a sentence.
4. When correct, place a turkey onto mat. Another option is to roll a die, and place multiple turkeys onto the mat.
5. The player with the most turkeys in his/her “field” at the end wins.
Included with the game are turkeys to cut out and use. (Another option for your kinesthetic learners is to purchase turkey cupcake toppers and a florist’s Styrofoam block to stick them in.)
****IMPORTANT NOTE: 24/30 cards at each level are the same as the cards in my Tier 2 Treasures Games. If you own those games already, only 6 cards per grade level will be new/different!****
Your students are sure to have fun collecting turkeys for their farms while targeting Tier II words!