This Time Capsule project has two parts to it, with two different opening times, the end of the current school year, and High School Graduation. This is a great back to school activity, or any time during the year. When I have done this project in the past, students requested that they have something they are able to open at the end of the year, as well as their high school graduation. I have added another activity for students to have something to open at the end of the year as well. With the school year opening, students complete the activity once at the beginning of the year and again at the end, so they can see changes over the year. With the graduation opening, the project can be done at any point during the year.
For the activity that is to be opened at the end of the year, I store the papers in a Pringles can and students each put a piece of tape on the can to make sure it is sealed. I then wrap it with a label they all sign, and I put it away until the last week of school. A manila envelope works just as well, but there are no Pringles to eat!
For the activities that will be opened at student’s high school graduation, I put all papers into a manila envelop and send it home the last week of the school year for parents to hold on to.
I have 2 versions of some pages with Canadian and US spelling, so you only need to print the sheets with the correct spelling for your students.
Included in this project are:
- Beginning of the year activity (to be opened at the end of this school year)
- All About Me
- Price Check for current prices of items such as milk, gas, movie ticket, etc.
- Technology Inventions and future technology predictions
- Height, Handprint, and Footprint sheets
- Letter to My Future Self – full instructions with student handout
- Current Events Page
- Pop Culture Page
- Letter to Parents (word format)
- Activity for parents
- 8 different photo frames (2 sizes 4x6 and 5x7)
- Labels for Sealed Enveloped with Graduation Dates from 2020 to 2028
- Teacher Directions for each activity – which includes directions for an extra activity