This game is a fun way for students to practice elapsed time.
Included is a directions page, recording sheet, and playing cards. Simply prepare the cards on card stock, make copies of the recording sheet, and you are ready to go! The game can be easily modified to provide more or less of a challenge by choosing the start and end times yourself.
Preparing the Materials:
1. Print out cards on card stock and cut apart.
2. Print out “Recording Sheet” – 1 per pair of students.
3. Shuffle all cards, including “TIME OUT!” cards.
4. Have clocks and scrap paper available for working out elapsed time.
Playing the Game:
1. Partners begin by choosing a “Start Time” and “End Time” and record them on their “Recording Sheet”.
2. Partners record the “Start Time” in row 1.
3. Players each choose a card, record their “Elapsed Time” in the table, and figure out the “New Time”.
4. If a player draws a “Time Out!” card, they skip their turn.
5. The game continues this way until one of the players reaches the “End Time”.
6. If the playing cards run out before reaching the “End Time”, reshuffle the deck of cards and continue playing.
Created by Ms. S-D's Classroom Creations - 2013
Key Words: math, games, time, elapsed time, clocks, partner games, centers