PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
This is a game to teach and practice Telling the Time vocabulary in a fun and engaging way. The game includes a board game, big clock faces (with and w/o hands) + additional tiles (Start, Finish, Miss your turn etc.).
You may play a board game in the classroom or make the process more fun printing and laminating the clock faces + tiles and play outside at the school playground or park.
You will need a dice and some counters corresponding to the number of players (or the players can be counters themselves walking on the floor).
How to play:
- Players take turns to roll the dice, step the appropriate number of spaces and tell the time.
- If student gives the correct answer s/he can remain on the spot until his next turn.
- If the answer is wrong, the player steps back one space or goes back to the previous spot and waits until his next turn to try again.
- The player, whose turn is next, gets a chance to correct the previous answer and step one space forward (but it’s not obligatory).
- The first player to reach the finish line is the winner.
You may also use clock faces to play flashcard games in the lessons or take card by card to discuss everyday routines what students usually do at each time.
Some flashcard games:
- Memory game. Print two sets of cards. Put all cards face down on the floor (or table), determine the order of the players in the game. Children take turns to open two cards and name them. If they match, the player keeps the cards and has another go, if they don't the cards are turned over again and another child goes. At the end of the game ask student to tell others what they usually do at those moments according to the cards they have won.
- Tic Tac Toe. Draw a grid 3*3 on the board, stick one card in every square. To put a cross or a nought, a player must tell the correct time on that card or make a short sentence.
- Fortress. Draw a fortress on the board. Tell children that it is attacked by enemies, add a ladder to the wall without some steps (5-7). The goal is to defend the fortress. Show the cards, children must say the correct words. 1 mistake – add 1 missing step on the ladder. If they are mistaken less than the number of missing steps, the fortress is saved!
- Touch. Place flashcards around the room and ask students to run around the classroom touching the flashcards that you say.
- Goal! Put flashcards on the floor (or table) where all pupils can see them. Ask each student in a turn to throw a coin or a ball onto one of the cards. If the coin/ball lands on a flashcard, they must tell the time, make a phrase or a sentence using the target vocabulary and grammar.
- Who's first? (great for playing in teams or in pairs). The teacher shows the cards one by one. The first team to name the word gets a card or a point. The team with the most points is the winner.
Clock faces without hands can be very useful for revision or speaking activities. Print as many copies as you will need beforehand.
- You can dictate the time and children draw the hands. They can do it in pairs and then change roles as well. Variation: To make the dictation more fun, divide the students into teams and do running dictation. Clock faces are in one part of the classroom, students are on the other part. The teacher tells the time, the representatives of each team run to their clock faces, draw the hands on the first ones and run back. Then another pair runs and draw another time on the second clock faces. In the end check the answers, whose team's got more correct answers, is the winner;
- Prepare daily routine cards, let students choose the cards randomly. Hand out the clock faces, students look at activities and draw the hands corresponding to the time when they do them. Then they tell their partners about it or to the whole class. Variation: first students draw the time randomly and them tell what they do at that time.
► Print on cardstock and laminate for a durable use.
⭐ You may also be interested in:
► Time domino 2in1
♥ Follow us to see our newest stuff and printables in action: TPT, FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST.