TinkerCAd is a free, online application to introduce all levels of students to Computer Animated Design. It can be used on all devices.
This is a fun and comprehensive project that covers Volume, Scale Factor, Surface Area, CAD design, and 3D printing in a meaningful way. They will design and be able to print out a pencil holder for their lockers that can stick to the inside. (Magnets will need to be provided). Students work at their own pace!
During this project, students:
- Learn about volume of all shapes through organized and visual notes
- Step by step directions on how to get logged in and started in tinkercad.com
- Comprehensive step by step directions on how to create the pencil holder
- Actually create the design, with images to help as reference
- Create perspective drawings
- Find the volume using a organized chart
- Use a scale factor to find new volume, and compare scale factors of dimensions vs volumes
- Find surface are of entire design and "earn" the right to print it out and stick in locker
- Offer feedback on the project
They will make decisions along the way and analyze their decisions. And they will leave with TinkerCAD skills that could be used in a later project!
Please leave feedback!