"A plain white handkerchief is the sure sign of a confident and elegant dresser." Alan Flusser (American designer of men's clothing ~ 1945)
Plain white handkerchiefs may not be what our students are carrying around school every day, but they are well acquainted with its substitute - that disposable paper tissue which - almost - replaced it.
A good project for a back-to-school vocabulary review
which allows your students to show off their creativity is the tissue box project, perfect for German 2 or higher at the start of school.
I start with a short overhead explaining the history of handkerchiefs, which evolved into the disposable paper tissue we frequently use today.
Did you know that you could once be put in jail if
your hanky was larger than the king's ?!!
Just as 'Do you have a kleenex?' has taken a brand name and used it generically, the same thing happened in Germany: Hast du ein Tempo für mich
1. A 7-page introductory overhead with a brief history of hankies and the advent of the disposable paper tissue
2. Project instruction sheet 1 with a rubric
3. Project instruction sheet 2 with a rubric
4. Project instruction sheet 3 with a rubric
* Each instruction sheet offers different criteria to decorate the box, depending on what you want your students to focus on and which can be changed to reflect your own criteria, if you wish.
5. Photos of some wonderful student samples
This is an easy-to-implement, out-of-classroom project which I usually assign the first week of school. I allow at least two weekends so students have time to do a nice job and, upon turning them in, I have a supply of tissues in beautifully decorated boxes for the whole year.
All items are ready-to-use to make your job easy. (11 pages)
* EXPANSION ACTIVITY 1 *
Why not talk about good manners in Germany, too ? Many are explained in
'Der Knigge ~ Manners Still Matter'
* EXPANSION ACTIVITY 2 *
Want to know more about Einstecktücher mit passendem Schlips
* Krawatte und Einstecktuch passend abgestimmt *
* EXPANSION ACTIVITY 3 *
If you get the sniffles in Germany, you'll be needing ein Tempo
Some very charming videos have been done by an American teenager during his stay in Germany. Sam Walton
has a delightful and refreshing way of looking at 'Life In Germany' - the name of his series.
Here's his video on 'Apotheken'
Dann gleich zur Apotheke ! Hier eine in Stuttgart ~
'Apotheke Stadtmitte Stuttgart'
* OF SPECIAL NOTE *
I have created my products as Word documents because that is how I use them. They are unlocked so teachers can change vocabulary words or modify things if they wish.
If you prefer a different format for the overhead, below are some suggestions, however, the pictures may need to be inserted separately.
To Make A Slide Show In ActivInspire
If you use ActivInspire, you can save the Word document as a pdf (this is easily done with the newer versions of Word), then you can simply import the pdf to ActivInspire and have a document for that format.
To Make A Slide Show In PowerPoint
If you prefer to use the PowerPoint format, you can easily convert a Word document to a PowerPoint.
This link explains it clearly: 'Creating A PowerPoint From A Word Document.'
If you like my products, please follow me by clicking on the little green star at the top under my name. Danke sehr.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
If you're looking for more ready-to-use resources, you may be interested in these other items in my store:
* Sub * Pac For German Class ~ Set 1
* Sub * Pac For German Class ~ Set 2
* SINGLE SUB PLANS NOW AVAILABLE *
. . Look for the brown polka dot cover . .
* Single Sub * Plan 1 For German
* Single Sub * Plan 2 For German
* Single Sub * Plan 3 For German
* Single Sub * Plan 4 For German
* Single Sub * Plan 5 For German
* Single Sub * Plan 6 For German
* Single Sub * Plan 7 For German
* Single Sub * Plan 8 For German
* Single Sub * Plan 9 For German
* Single Sub * Plan 10 For German
Prefer a savings ?
* German * Class Bundle ~ $7.00 for 7 ready-to-use resources
Or want to create your own ?
* Wish * List Bundle
Special Back-to-School Activities & Review Resources
* Back-To-School Review * Pac For German
* Tissue * Box Project For German Class .. A great back-to-school review project. ..
* Die Schultüte For German * Class
* A Light History Of The English Language For German Class
* The Color * Game For German Class .. Vorsicht. This can get pretty exciting ! ..
* The Use of du * ihr * Sie in German
* Telling Time * Pac For German Class
* Das Perfekt * Pac ~ Activities For German Class
* Menu * Project For German Class
.. Great back-to-school activity for level 2. This makes a nice bulletin board or hall display of student work for Open House night. ..
* The Two * Way Preposition Pac For German
* Wordle Activity * Pac For German .. Be prepared for excitement with a capital 'E' ! ..
* Practice * Pac ~ wissen und kennen
* Using A German-English Dictionary
Customs & Life in Germany
* Das Namensrecht * The German Naming Laws
.. Nice initial introduction to a cultural difference for the start of school when you let students pick a German name for class. ..
* The School * Pac For German
* Toi toi toi * And Other Customs In Germany
* Der Knigge ~ Manners Still Matter
* Wedding * Customs In Germany .. Fun to talk about right before Valentinstag. ..
* Food * Customs And Dining In Germany
* The Autobahn And Driving In Germany
* The Post * Pac For German Class
* Let's Talk Business: In German .. Perfect, too, for after the AP Exam. ..
* German-American Day * Famous People .. For October 6th ~ German-American Day. ..
* German-American Day Activities * Pac .. For October 6th ~ Easy activities to make this day special. ..
* German * American Day Bundle .. Two in one for a savings. ..
* Mamie Eisenhower * Think Pink
.. It's free. .. Learn more about the seldom-talked-about wife of one of our most famous German-Americans, President Dwight D. Eisenhower. .. One teacher said:
"I love, love, love this ! It was so interesting and fun to share with my class !" ..
* November 1st * Tombstone Project For German
.. Nice for Allerheiligen. ..
* The Christmas * Pac For German Class
* Nikolaustag * Pac For German
* German Christmas With Rick Steves
* Valentinstag ♥ Pac For German Class
* Valentinstag ♥ Carte For German Class
* Einstein * Trivia Game ~ Year 1 .. For 3.14 - Pi Day and Einstein's Birthday. ..
* Einstein * Trivia Game ~ Year 2 .. For 3.14 - Pi Day and Einstein's Birthday. This was such a hit in German 1, my students made me make a German 2 version. ..
* Mother's Day Project * Pac For German
.. Perfect for Muttertag im Mai. ..
Assessments & Projects & Activities
* Final * Exam For German 1
* Final * Exam For German 2
* Final * Exam For German 3
* Komm mit Level 1 ~ Video * Pac
* Komm mit Level 2 ~ Video * Pac
* Lotto * Pac For German .. Review more than just numbers with this fun way to reinforce vocabulary, too. ..
* Proverb * Pac For German Class
* Card Game * Pac For German Class
* Schokoladen * Fest For German Class
* Geography * Pac For German Class
* Schattenbilder * Silhouettes For German Class
* Rorschach * Inkblot Activity For German Class
* The Doctor * Is In For German Class
* The Extra Credit Word * Pac For German
* Food * Activity ~ Pass The Plate For German Class
* Bulletin * Board Bonanza For German Teachers
* Coat of Arms Project * For German Class
* The Weather * Pac For German
* The Calendar Activities * Pac For German Class
* Photo Scavenger * Hunt For German Class
.. Perfect for after the AP German Exam or for upper level students. ..
* Battleship * Pac For German .. Good oral practice of verb tenses. ..
* ABC-Büchlein For German .. Need a recruiting tool ? Try this. ..
* Monster * Project For German Class
* Chutes & Ladders Verb * Project For German Class
* Country Map * Project For German Class
.. Easy for German 1 and makes a nice bulletin board or hall display of student work. ..
* Fun End-Of-Year Awards For German Class .. Nice way to end the year. ..
* End-of-Year Review * Activities For German
* Grammar * Pac For German Class ~ Set 1
* Grammar * Pac For German Class ~ Set 2
* Grammar * Pac For German Class ~ Set 3
* Household * Chores Activities For German
* Relative Pronoun * Activity For German
* Verb Activity * Pac For German
* Word Wise Vocab * Pac For German .. Nice for enlarging the vocabulary of your AP German students. ..
Great Films & Documentaries
* Movie * Pac For German ~ Set 1
* Movie * Pac For German ~ Set 2
* Movie * Pac For German ~ Set 3
* Movie * Pac For German ~ Set 4 ~ Biographies
* Feature * Film ~ Nordwand (North Face) .. You'll be on the edge of your seat till the very end ! ..
* Feature * Film ~ Woman In Gold
* Feature * Film ~ Race .. Nicely done bio-pic for Black History Month. ..
* Feature * Film ~ Jesse Owens - American Experience .. An interesting documentary. Perfect link between German and Black History Month. ..
* Feature * Film ~ Bella Martha Mostly Martha .. Sweet film. Fits in nicely with a food unit. ..
* Feature * Film ~ Rosenstraße
* Feature * Film ~ Joyeux Noël Merry Christmas
* Feature * Film ~ Marx & Coca Cola .. A delightful film about post-Reunification hurdles. ..
* Rick Steves * Germany Benelux & More
* Feature * Film ~ Swing Kids
* Burt Wolf ~ Ticino, Switzerland
* Feature * Film ~ Seven Years In Tibet
* Feature * Film ~ Sissi Forever My Love
* Feature * Film ~ The Young Victoria
* Feature * Film ~ Amadeus
* Rick Steves ~ Berlin, Germany
* Feature * Film ~ The Sound of Music
* Feature * Film ~ Vitus .. Good way to touch upon German-speaking Switzerland. ..
* Feature * Film ~ Bach's Fight For Freedom
* Feature * Film ~ Handel's Last Chance
* Feature * Film ~ Bridge of Spies
* Feature * Film ~ Das schreckliche Mädchen ~ The Nasty Girl
* Feature * Film ~ Das Wunder von Bern
* Feature * Film ~ Die weiße Rose ~ The White Rose
* Feature * Film ~ Einstein's Wife
* Feature * Film ~ Influenza 1918
* Feature * Film ~ Lola rennt ~ Run, Lola, Run
* Feature * Film ~ Night Crossing .. Da sitzen Sie auf heißen Kohlen bis zum Ende ! ..
* Feature * Film ~ The Berlin Wall ~ Modern Marvels
* Feature * Film ~ The Candy Bomber
* Feature * Film ~ The Monuments Men
* Feature * Film ~ The Rise and Fall of the Wall
* Feature * Film ~ Valkyrie
* Rick Steves * Austria & The Alps
* Feature * Film ~ Patton
Other Ready-to-Use Resources
* Flashback * Pac Grammar Review For Students of French, German, Italian, Spanish
* The Traveler's * Ten Commandments For FL Students .. It's free. ..
* Alphabet Games * Pac For French, German, Italian, Spanish
* Valentine's Day ♥ Trivia Game For French, German, Italian, Spanish
.. Perfect fun activity in February for your German Club. ..
* Eponym Activity For French, German, Italian, Spanish .. Works well as a sub plan, too. ..
JUST FOR FUN
* The Mystery * Bingo Book Club . . Ideal if you like to read mystery stories ! . .
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* TEACHER TIP *
Did you know that you can earn feedback credits each time you give a comment on a product you have purchased ?
It's easy to do.
Just go to www.TeachersPayTeachers.com and login, then click on ~
* My TpT (at the top right)
* My Purchases ~ find the appropriate title from the list
* Provide Feedback (under the product title and author's name)
and continue from there.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
KEYWORDS Back-to-school review / Vocabulary review / Alternative vocab review / Health vocabulary / Chapter review / Kleenex box / Back to school activity / Back to school project / Review of German vocabulary / First days of school / Die Schule hat begonnen !