My students watch the Titanic after finishing the play Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare. The Titanic provides romantic themes similar to those found in Romeo and Juliet. It also has relation to the unit question: "How are we affected by the power of love?"
The worksheet includes 40 questions that correspond with the movie. The questions are a mix of fill in the blanks and short extended response.
Standards for Titanic
- Analyze text to create inference from piece of literature
- I can prove an analysis of the piece of literature using good textual evidence .
- Analyze text to determine central idea, development of central idea, objective summary of text over theme and relevant story elements *plot diagram*.
- Analyze how complex characters develop over the course of text.
- Analyze how complex characters interact w/ other characters over course of text.
- Analyze how complex characters advance the plot or develop theme *character chart*).
- Create narrative that engages & orients reader by introducing problem, situation, or observation.
- Create narrative that utilizes techniques like dialogue pacing description reflection multiple plot lines to develop experiences events and/or characters.
- Design sequence of events using variety of technique to create a coherent story.
- Design engaging narrative using precise words, phrases, and sensory language to convey vivid pic of the experience, events, setting, and characters.