Guide your students to a deeper level of understanding of the story, "To Build a Fire" by Jack London. This Common Core aligned activity guides students through a pre-reading vocabulary study and a during reading literary analysis leading to a post-reading summary.
The students will be able to:
- Analyze and define vocabulary in context
- Identify internal and external conflicts
- Identify and explain foreshadow
- Identify cause and effect relationships
- Identify the elements of the plot structure
- Utilize skills and vocabulary that are common in high-stakes exams
The design of the activity includes scaffolds, sentence frames, and graphic organizers.
This activity may be used in both individual and collaborative literary analysis activities. The design of the activity is highly scaffolded and easily adaptable for English language learners (ELD, ESL, EFL, SDAIE).
This resource is also available in Word format.