The contents of this bundle include:
1. TKM Film Unit: The first 14 pages of this bundle are a unit I used for just studying the film. You can use all of it or pieces of it.
2. Group Inquiry Project: This is an introduction to the novel. Students read the back of the book and research different words on the description. They then share their discoveries with the class in a creative presentation.
3. Video Clip Analysis: Students watch an interview with the author and write an analysis that uses rhetorical devices to make their claim.
4. Text Analysis Guided Exploration: This activity can be used all throughout the reading of the novel. Students are given chunks of the text to summarize using Twitter and longer versions.
5. The Greatest Escape article: An article about an actual man who escaped the prisons/gulags of Siberia.
6. Reading Nonfiction handout: This handout utilizes social media, technology, and questioning as students work through nonfiction articles like “The Great Escape.”
7. Cattle Car Evidence handout: As students read the novel, they chronicle the imagery used as the characters travel on the cattle car. After chronicling the evidence, they write their own first person paragraph from the experience of the cattle car.
8. Personal Inquiry: The same idea as the group inquiry, but this time the students can take anything they are curious about from the novel and do research, writing a paragraph and citing their sources.
9. Character Analysis: Students analyze one character from the novel and write an analysis of that character.
10. MLA Markup Activity: This is a great activity that helps students connect their works cited pages with their in-text citations.
11. Character Analysis Writing Helps: A document that helps students write their character analysis paragraph.
12. Socratic Seminar Questions: The rules and discussion questions for a final Socratic Seminar over the novel.
13. STEM Questions: These are STEMS for students to develop their OWN questions for the Socratic Seminar.
14. Socratic Seminar Rubric: Assessment rubric for the Socratic Seminar
15. Socratic Seminar Evaluation: A personal way for students to evaluate one another during the Socratic Seminar.