An author study provides a natural framework for literacy. This step-by-step guide to an investigation of Tomie DePaola’s work will facilitate the process for you.
There are also generic suggestions that will help you create your own plan for your favorite authors.
• An overview of the Tomie DePaola study
• Suggestions for your Author’s Corner
• Quotes about the author
• Photos of the author/artist and his work
• Tomie’s bio
• 3 day plan for the study launch
• Pancakes for Breakfast (SWBS)
• Charlie Needs a Cloak (Sensory graphic organizer)
• Compare/Contrast graphic organizer
• The third book is Teacher’s Choice (Narrative elements)
• Suggested Noticings
• All required graphic organizers including completed samples
• Display cards for a matrix; sample matrix