Also included in
- Have you ever wondered where to begin teaching a pragmatic language skill? Or once you started, did you wonder how to teach that skill strategically? With this social communication bundle you won't feel like that any more! This bundle of social skills activities strategically guides you through the$32.62$45.10Save $12.48
- Have you ever struggled to create pragmatic language activities for a speech therapy, social skills, or Autism group? Many of us have developed our social communication abilities without much thought, which can make breaking down these complicated skills into easy to understand steps, challenging. W$101.34$112.60Save $11.26
If you have ever wondered how to begin teaching tone of voice, you are not alone. This resource will guide you through the process of teaching this complex skill in easy to understand steps. The resource contains informative texts that introduce the topic of tone of voice and also has audio clips and other guided practice activities to help your students understand what tone of voice is, how to listen for it, and how to use it.
This resource contains the following:
- Reading passages: This resource contains two reading passages and two comprehension quizzes. The first passage gives a broad definition that explains what tone of voice is. The second passage explains how to listen for changes in tone of voice.
- Vocabulary: There are 3 vocabulary activities that target the following words: pitch, rate, emphasis, prolong, non-verbal communication, volume, emotion, inflection.
- Audio Clips: There are 30 audio clips to help your students practice listening for tone of voice differences. The audio clips exemplify 10 tone of voice variations that represent different emotions for the words "ok", "yes", and "no". There is a page that describes how to use the audio clips. A guided listening worksheet is also included to walk your students through the process of listening for tonal changes.
- Guided Practice Sentences: This activity contains 20 sentences for you and your students to practice creating and listening for changes in tone of voice. Each sentence has a recommended emotion for the speaker to portray while saying the sentence. There is also a companion worksheet to guide your students through this activity.
- Tone of Voice Emoji Activity #1: Cut out the included emoji emotion cards. Play the audio clips and have your students practice identifying the emotion they hear in the tone of voice.
- Tone of Voice Emoji Activity #2: The teacher or student creates sentences that exemplifies an emotion using tone of voice. The listener guesses the intended emotion using the emoji emotion cards to make a selection.
- Emoji Emotion Cards: There are emoji cards for the following emotions: excited, angry, happy, sad, disappointed, frustrated, silly, tired, embarrassed, annoyed, afraid, proud, relieved. There are also blank cards for you to create any other emotion/emoji you would like to practice. There are color and B/W versions of the emoji cards.
- Practice Using Different Tones Worksheet: Students pick a word or sentence and say it 10 times, using a different tone each time.
- Tone of Voice Barrier Game: Cut out the provided emotion words and practice words/sentences. One player selects one emotion and one practice word/sentence and tries to get the other player to guess the emotion using only tone of voice. Players sit behind a barrier or back to back to avoid other non verbal cues.
Before you begin teaching tone of voice, I highly recommend your students having a strong understanding of complex emotion words. I think you will love my resource Empathy and Emotions Activities to help your students gain a better understanding of difficult emotion vocabulary.
Also, I would love it if you would follow me so you will be notified when new products are uploaded. All products are 50% off the first 24 hours!
You might also be interested in these stuttering resources from my store:
- Pragmatic Language Teaching Guide Bundle
- The Never Ending Social Communication Bundle
- Preschool Vocabulary Activity Bundle
Click to Connect
Thank you so much,
Jessica, The Gift of Gab