Touring Towns and Cities is designed to be a take home literacy backpack to encourage student reading at home, as well as parent involvement in their child's reading. This resource would also make a great literacy center or mini unit about communities.
This resource includes activities based around 5 pieces of fictional literature including:
1) Wow! City! by Robert Neubecker
2) Cat Up a Tree, by John and Anne Hasset
3) Follow That Bus, by Suzan Reid
4) Everybody Cooks Rice, by Norah Dooley
5) My Map Book, by Sara Fanelli
The activities are designed to increase reading comprehension as well as practice narrative writing, creative writing, expository writing, and map creation.
The following items are included in this resource:
1. Letter to teachers
2. Letter to Parents
3. Letter to students
4. Parent and student directions for each activity
5. Travel log cover page and 4 different writing pages to accommodate different student writing levels
6. Hat templates
7. Recipe Card
8. Illustration Paper
9. Road Play Mat
10. 3 different rubrics to help assess the included activities
I hope you and your students enjoy this resource!