These 4-square organizers can be used for guided reading groups or during a read-aloud of Town Mouse, Country Mouse by Jan Brett. This resource features the Jennifer Serravallo strategy of "Stop & Jot" from The Reading Strategies Book. Enjoy!
Each square focuses on one of Serravallo's goals for Fiction/Literature comprehension:
- Plot & Setting
- Themes & Ideas
- RL 2.1 Ask and answer such questions as who, what, where, when, why, and how to demonstrate understanding of key details in a text.
- RL 2.2 Recount stories, including fables and folktales from diverse cultures, and determine their central message, lesson, or moral.
- RL 2.7 Use information gained from the illustrations and words in a print or digital text to demonstrate understanding of its characters, setting, or plot.
- RL 2.9 Compare and contrast two or more versions of the same story (e.g., Cinderella stories) by different authors or from different cultures.
- L 2.4 Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases based on grade 2 reading and content, choosing flexibly from an array of strategies.