This series is a compilation of 33 full page traceable quotes from Thich Nhat Hanh that can be used for people of all ages to inspire appreciation, a positive outlook and awareness of self and surroundings. The pages are numbered for easier reference and so you know quickly which ones you have already used.
This package comes with 2 separate charts for easy reference when looking for quotes to encourage or educate children about specific behaviors such as loving speech, listening and feelings.
The pictures are of quotes that appear within the packet, as well as example pictures that my 5 year old colored.
* Use quotes as gentle reminders of appropriate behavior. This can be done verbally by saying the quote or by choosing a quote for the child to trace. There are times when our patience starts to give and it is easy to turn to negative verbal enforcement and shaming for behavior. This is a good time to use the easy reference guide. Rather than saying the same negatively charged commands like “no”, “stop”, “don’t” that the child is not responding to simply use the quote instead. Use the quick reference chart for examples.
* Print individual quotes and have child trace the letters to practice writing skills and expand vocabulary.
* Quotes can be printed on a lovely paper, or decorated by the child and hung in the room to serve as a visual reminder for parent/teachers and children.
* Children can draw a picture of how the quote makes them feel or what it means to them.
* Every time a quote is used it opens up an opportunity for discussion and dialogue about the meaning of the quote and how it can be applied in daily life.
* Some shorter quotes can be used as mantras repeated several times (verbally or traced) with the child in a positive and quiet environment to focus the mind. Just like with retelling of stories and rhymes children will retain the message through repetition.