Working with a student who has final consonant deletion goals and whom loves trains? This is the perfect activity for you!
Included in the download is an open-ended train-themed game board, game movement cards ideal for practicing counting up to three, a create-a-train section, as well as a matching game for extra practice.
• Use pages 5-8 to make trains.
• Each student should receive a train captain (blue), then flip the rest of the train carts over.
• Have the student select a train cart, use the correct final consonant, and add it to his/her train.
• If the final consonant is not produced accurately, then the student should return the train cart to the pile for another chance.
• Each student needs a caboose in order to finish making the train.
• The student who makes the longest train wins.
• Note: add magnetic backing and use a white board to make creating trains more fun!
Use the accompanying train-themed open-ended game board for extra fun. Use game movement card (page 4) in lieu of a dice (have the student count the number of train carts and move that many spots on the game board). Make sure to have the student stop at the railroad crossing sign and lose the rest of his/her turn while a train passes through.
A matching game is included for extra practice. This matching game could even be sent home as an extra fun activity parents can use with their children.
*Suitable for 2 players. Print extra copies if playing with 4 players.*
Download the preview of this activity to ensure it meets the needs of your students prior to purchasing!
Please be sure to visit Breanna's Speech Blog
for more activities!
Graphics: Scrappin' Doodles; Smarty Symbols