"Teach Like a Champion offers effective teaching techniques to help teachers, especially those in their first few years, become champions in the classroom. These powerful techniques are concrete, specific, and are easy to put into action the very next day. Training activities at the end of each chapter help the reader further their understanding through reflection and application of the ideas to their own practice."
Among the techniques:
- Technique #1: No Opt Out. How to move students from the blank stare or stubborn shrug to giving the right answer every time.
- Technique #35: Do It Again. When students fail to successfully complete a basic task—from entering the classroom quietly to passing papers around—doing it again, doing it right, and doing it perfectly, results in the best consequences.
- Technique #38: No Warnings. If you're angry with your students, it usually means you should be angry with yourself. This technique shows how to effectively address misbehaviors in your classroom.
This is a fully developed Teacher Training or Professional Development. It focuses on teaching techniques and practices. These 49 techniques build a culture of excellence to enable academic achievement.
This PD is based on the information found in the book "Teach Like a Champion: 49 Techniques that Put Students on the Path to College" by Doug Lemov. It helps educators increase student engagement, academic achievement, and improve classroom management in the classroom's of educators at all levels, Kindergarten through College.
The folder includes:
- PDF Summaries of the 49 teaching techniques presented in the book. Each technique includes a summary of important points and important quotes
- A simple to follow Powerpoint to pace and progress through the training. It has embedded options that can have the PD last for 1-1.5 hours. (also in SMART Notebook and PDF Formats)
- A reflection handout for teachers
- An optional exit ticket/evaluation form for teachers
- A summary (1-2 sentences) of all the 49 techniques presented.
The files provided are meant to be used as part of a teacher training (though they are useful for individual teachers). The book and these hooks have helped transform my classroom in to a fun place that students and I enjoy. Please consider this if you are looking for a uniquely impactful and interesting Professional Development
There is a less complete but, cheaper option available. It only contains 6 of the 49 hooks and is a good "teaser" PD. It concentrates on setting high expectations in the classroom. Search for "Training/Professional Development - Teach Like a Champion Teaser"