There is a more complete but also, more expensive option available. It contains all of the 32 hooks. Search for "Training/Professional Development - Teach Like a Pirate"
"Much of your success as an educator has to do with your attitude towards teaching and towards kids. The rest is based on your willingness to relentlessly search for what engages students in the classroom, and then having the guts to do it" - Dave Burgess
This is a fully developed Teacher Training or Professional Development. It focuses not on content or techniques but, on how to engage students in your lesson. This is a critical and often overlooked aspect of teaching. After all as Hendrick John Clarke said "A good teacher, like a good entertainer, first much hold his audience's attention. Then he can teach his lesson."
This PD is based on the information found in the book "Teach Like a Pirate" by Dave Burgess. It helps educators increase student engagement, boosts creativity, and transforms the lives and classrooms of educators.
The folder includes:
- A simple to follow Powerpoint to pace and progress through the training. It has embedded options that can have the PD last for 30 minutes to hours.
- A handout for teachers to brainstorm their ideas.
- A pdf of 10 of the 32 hooks presented in the book. Each page is a hook and includes examples, quotes, and/or comments. Some provided from the book some by me.
- The Powerpoint include a walk-through of the acronym PIRATE and the meaning of the letters to act as a guideline for teachers
- An optional exit ticket for teachers
- An optional 30 Day challenge that challenges the teachers to incorporate hooks into their classroom.
The files provided are meant to be used as part of a teacher training (though they are useful for individual teachers). The book and these hooks have helped transform my classroom in to a fun place that students and I enjoy. Please consider this if you are looking for a uniquely impactful and interesting Professional Development