NEW and IMPROVED! I updated the previous version of this activity to make it more user friendly. This updated version should take about 1-1.5 hours to complete.
I really like this activity and am quite proud to share it with the TpT community. This is a paper model activity where students will be guided through the steps of transcription and translation and then also learn about mutations. Students first begin by cutting and gluing paper strips of DNA. Then, they will transcribe the DNA into mRNA. Next, the mRNA will be used to determine the sequence of amino acids that a ribosome will build into a protein. Scissors and tape/glue are needed throughout the activity.
When the students are finished with the transcription/translation portion of the activity, they will then focus on how mutations can alter proteins. They will be guided through 3 different examples of DNA mutations (silent mutation, point mutation, frame shift mutation) to see how the protein is affected by each. Along the way, they will answer analysis questions to check for understanding.
I have included 8 files in this download.
1) Student activity (Word format)
2) Student activity (PDF)
3) Paper cutouts (PowerPoint format)
4) Paper cutouts (PDF format)
5) Answer key (Word format)
6) Answer key (PDF format)
7) Teacher notes (Word format)
8) Teacher notes (PDF format)
Are you looking for other DNA based lessons?
DNA Based PowerPoint Presentations:
* DNA and Replication PowerPoint
* RNA and Transcription PowerPoint
* Translation and Protein Synthesis PowerPoint
* DNA Mutations PowerPoint
DNA Based Review Games
* DNA Jeopardy Game
* DNA Bingo Game
* DNA, RNA, Protein Synthesis Challenge Game
* DNA Review Packet
DNA based Interactive Tutorials:
* Transcription Interactive Tutorial
* Translation Interactive Tutorial
DNA based activities:
* Translation Paper Model Activity