Transfer of Electrons
Ionic Bonding Unit
Students will be able to…
• Identify the metal and nonmetal in an ionic bond.
• Illustrate Lewis Symbols of metals and nonmetals and the transfer of electrons.
• Illustrate the Ion Lewis Symbols of the cation and anion in an ionic bond.
• Determine the ionic formula for a compound.
• Know that in an ionic bond electrons are transferred, opposite charges attract, and the ionic compound that forms is stable and neutral.
• Transfer of Electrons WS
• Transfer of Electrons WS – KEY
• Transfer of Electrons: Warm-Up #1
• Transfer of Electrons: Warm-Up #2
• Transfer of Electrons: Warm-Up #1 & #2 – KEY
• CHALLENGE Transfer of Electrons Assignment
• CHALLENGE Transfer of Electrons Assignment – EXAMPLE KEY
(All items compiled in 1 PDF document. Document cannot be edited.)
Additional Required Materials:
(These items are not included in the purchase.)
• Periodic Table per student
• Assign “Transfer of Electrons WS”
• Use “Transfer of Electrons: Warm-Ups” as needed for review.
• For advanced students, assign the “CHALLENGE Transfer of Electrons Assignment.”
o Recommend showing students the “Example Key” for the assignment and briefly explaining how the Lithium – Oxygen bond forms (See “CHALLENGE Transfer of Electrons Assignment – EXAMPLE KEY”).
o Allow students to choose the metal and nonmetal they will use for the assignment. OR Allow students to choose their metal and nonmetal pair from a list.
o Recommended Metal – Nonmetal pairs for CHALLENGE assignment:
Ca and Cl
Na and P
Al and F
K and O
Mg and F
K and S
Al and Cl
Li and N
***This item may also be purchased as a part of the Ionic Bonding Unit – CURRICULUM BUNDLE
***Check out more Chemistry with Confidence Ionic Bonding Unit
***Check out more curriculum in the Chemistry with Confidence TeachersPayTeachers Store
***Check out the Chemistry with Confidence website