Also included in
- If you are looking for high school geometry projects, problem based learning, STEAM, STEM, or just engaging resources, this bundle is perfect for your class. It includes seven resources that can be used as collaborative work or assigned individually to appeal to a range of student interests. Cli$12.99$18.45Save $5.46
- Want to get your students engaged in math?These activities combine 7th grade and 8th grade math standards with architecture and design. Students will love being creative while learning math in real world scenarios. The resources in the bundle cover a wide range of geometry standards, including are$15.00$21.98Save $6.98
- This is a bundle of standards-based eighth grade geometry resources including discovery lessons, group activities, and engaging practice. Topics include angles, Pythagorean Theorem, transformations, and volume.Save with the bundle!Thank you for your interest in this resource from Rise over Run.Also$48.00$69.93Save $21.93
- Help students discover and understand geometric transformations on the coordinate plane with this engaging, hands-on unit for 8th grade geometry CCSS standards. Included are inquiry activities, fun practice, foldables, a card sort, reference posters, a real world project, and an assessment. Everyt$24.00$36.44Save $12.44
- Want to incorporate more PBL in your lessons? Challenge students to use what they have learned in class as they apply 8th grade standards in these real world application projects. Included are 6 engaging projects:Rates & Proportional Relationships Business Startup ProjectTransformations Archit$14.00$20.49Save $6.49
- This mega bundle includes engaging and challenging high school geometry activities, inquiry lessons, handouts, guided notes, powerpoints, reference posters, and more! The resources are a variety of activities, assessments, games, projects, guided notes, card sorts, and more that I have created while$145.00$190.25Save $45.25
- This curriculum for the entire year of eighth grade includes a variety of activities, assessments, games, projects, guided notes, inquiry lessons, group work, reference posters, and more based on Common Core math standards. This curriculum is centered on discovery learning and engaging activities w$225.00$343.88Save $118.88
- This mega bundle is packed with engaging and challenging Algebra I and 8th grade math resources for the whole year. A variety of activities, discovery learning, assessments, games, projects, guided notes, and more are included for teaching Algebra I to 8th graders. The resources cover all 8th grad$330.00$557.82Save $227.82
Using Transformations as an Architect is a project based learning lesson designed to get students engaged in a real world cooperative activity. Check out the wonderful things teachers are saying in the reviews for this activity!
This activity is designed for groups of 4 students (or 3 if needed). It will take about 2-3 class periods to complete. You will need large tracing paper and graph paper for this activity. Students will work as teams to design an apartment and then use transformations to create an entire floor of apartments. Before I was a teacher, I was a designer. I know first hand that transformations are an important part of design.
Included in download:
- PowerPoint - 23 slides guiding the activity
- PDF of instructions and handouts - 10 pages
- Editable Word document of instructions
- Sample Floor Plans
The main objective is to use transformations successfully in a real world application. Students will also get valuable practice calculating areas, working cooperatively, and being creative.
Extras provided in download:
Higher Order Thinking Discussion Questions
Check out the preview!
Teachers who have used this activity have said...
"One of my favorite products that I have found all year! The students LOVED this activity and I enjoyed seeing their creativity incorporated in our learning. Thanks!"
"My students loved this! Really helped them understand transformations while exhibiting their creativity!"
"I am currently student teaching and always looking for fun activities for my geometry kids. They loved this activity and each one of them was very engaged. It was nice to see them collaborating and taking ownership of their own learning."
"I loved this project, and so did my student! This was rigorous and engaging, and the results were fabulous. Looking forward to purchasing more of your projects."
"Thank you for this! I teach math at a PBL STEAM school and this is the perfect PBL activity for transformations. It incorporates the standards with art and creativity. Love it!"