Transitions words and phrases are like traffic signals; they are essential to keeping a smooth "flow!" Without appropriate transitions, the reader may get lost, lose interest, or simply CRASH into confusion!
These 15 road trip-themed task cards will help your students identify the best transition words and phrases to connect ideas. I have incorporated a variety of time-order, compare/contrast, cause and effect, and addition/elaboration transition words, such as:
- First, next, then, after that, finally
- Before long, after a few hours, all of a sudden
- Also, additionally, furthermore
- In the meantime, meanwhile
- Fortunately, unfortunately
- Therefore, however, on the other hand
- In conclusion, to sum up, lastly
This PDF file includes:
- 15 task cards
- Answer recording sheet
- Answer key
In addition to building your students' confidence with using natural transitions in their own writing, this activity also serves for GREAT TEST PREP!
I hope this helps your students write stories that their readers can "navigate" through easily!