This resource is made up of three transportation themed literacy activities to practice uppercase and lowercase letter recognition, letter sounds, and basic print concepts students need in order to learn to read and write. There are puzzle pair cards, uppercase letter mats, and vocabulary cards. There are print friendly versions of each.
Great to use for Transportation theme, or Things That Go theme.
Review the skills/standards below and decide which (or all) standards will be part of your instructional goal.
Decide which activity printables you plan to use, print and cut where necessary.
These activities can be done independently or during small group time.
Here is an overview of each activity:
- Beginning Sounds and Letter Match cards - This activity practices upper and lowercase recognition, and beginning sounds for the 12 letters a, b, c, d, f, g, h, m, p, r, s, and t. Students match two puzzle pieces to make a vehicle. Each puzzle pair has a picture of the vehicle (e.g. ambulance) and the beginning letter in uppercase and lowercase (e.g. Aa).
- Matching Uppercase and Lowercase letters - This activity practices upper and lowercase letter recognition. Students match letter tiles on a hot air balloon mat.
- Vocabulary Cards - These cards can be used in many different ways. Each card has a picture of a vehicle and the vehicle name printed below it. You can create a memory match game, post in the literacy center or word wall and reference them when talking about the different modes of transportation, or make a chart during the theme introduction of “Things That Go,” using these cards.
This activity is designed to align with the Preschool Foundational and Kindergarten Readiness Standards used in my state, which are:
- RF.1.d I can recognize some alphabet letters.
- RF.K.3a I can begin to associate names of letters with sounds of the alphabet
- SL.5 I can recognize that objects, symbols, and pictures can provide additional detail.
- L.2a I can recognize that there are upper and lower case letters.
- SE/SS.2.1abc I can develop skills to interact cooperatively with others.
- I can engage in learning activities with peers. I can respond to and interact with other children and adults in a formal or group setting. I can participate cooperatively in a group.
What you get
- Directions on how to use
- 17 puzzle pair cards: Aa Ambulance, Aa Airplane, Bb Boat, Cc Car, Cc Concrete Mixer, Dd Dump Truck, Ff Fire Truck, Gg Garbage Truck, Hh Hot Air Balloon, Mm Monster Truck, Pp Police Car, Rr Rocket, Bb Bus, Ss Submarine, Tt Tow Truck, Tt Truck. (color and black and white)
- 1 Hot Air Balloon Mat (black and white) with letter tiles
- 18 Vocabulary cards: Car, Airplane, Ship, Hot Air Balloon, Helicopter, Train, Submarine, Ambulance, Excavator, Rocket, Truck, Bicycle, Scooter, Cargo Ship, Foot, Unicyle, Tow Truck, Bus (color and black and white)
I love followers!
Get first access to store discounts, free products and product launches.
Click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the red “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
Teresa from Dream Big Little One