This resource is designed to help students strengthen their reading, writing, and analyzing skills. The journal is designed with 20 unique informational text articles (from 20 countries around the world)! Each article is paired with comprehension questions and a variety of activities and projects.
This resource includes:
- Teacher directions
- 3 travel journal covers: (orange/pink/blue, blue/green, and black/white)
- Completely editable document
- 20 Informational text articles (20 different countries around the world)
- Annotation guide and comprehension questions
- Identifying main ideas graphic organizer
- Current events research activity
- #instapassport activity
- Learning languages activity
- Analysis of the flag
- Professional blogger project with template for blog post
- Compare & contrast essay
- Travel itinerary project
- Build a board game project and supplies
- Inspiring art activity
- Food & culture activity (building a menu for their assigned country)
- Writing a narrative essay/short story project
- Sensory language interactive notebook page
- Sentence variation interactive notebook page
- Design your passport
- World gallery hop whole-class activity
- Colorful countries page
- Rubrics included for all projects
Several ways to use this resource with students
- Assign each student a country and have them complete the same activities and projects.
- Assign each student a country and have them CHOOSE from the activities and projects.
- Give all of the articles to students and allow them to CHOOSE the country that appeals to them.
- Split students into small groups. Assign each group a different country. The group will then split the projects and activities accordingly among members.
I would suggest spending 2-3 weeks on this unit, depending on the length of time you have available with students.
These unique articles were written for the sole purpose of building students’ analyzing and comprehension skills.
***These make excellent sub plans as well!
- Sri Lanka
- The Maldives
- Costa Rica
- South Africa
- New Zealand
NOTE: For the editable version, you'll need to use the Silver South Serif and Silver South Script fonts (or use your own fonts).
+++ Comprehension questions & projects included for each article +++
- NOTE: The digital version ONLY is sold separately.
Please download the preview for more information. The preview provides images of the informational text journal pages in action.
Connect with Me
Find me on Snapchat: Superheroteach
If you like this product, please leave feedback!