Set all your students up for success by letting them "cheat" before they share. This is a strategy I have found I have found to work like magic in my classroom. In my classroom we call it "Treasure Takers!" and here are the steps:
1. Hand out a graphic organizer or questions. These are editable. Just add your own labels and questions and your good to go!
2. Give them a limited time ( 2 minutes) to fill in everything that they think they know about the subject/ concept/ question to be discussed.
3. Then tell the class that that when you say " Get the Booty! " they are allowed to wander around the room and "steal an idea from another person's paper, then come back, record it and steal again from someone else until you give the signal to come back to their ship by saying, "All aboard!"
4. Keep repeating the process, until most students have at least a few items on their chart.
5. Now ask for class contributions to the discussion and everyone's hand goes up! Now you can call on any students because they all have something to share!