I'm always looking for fun, but meaningful, ways for my kiddos to practice their weekly vocabulary words or spelling words... sometimes it can be a challenge!
When I heard of the idea of use our reading texts to do vocabulary words scavenger hunts, I thought - that's PERFECT! Here's what students get to practice while doing them...
- Gaining repeated exposure to new words.
- Using page numbers to navigate a story.
- Identifying the BEGINNING and END of a sentence (sounds easy, but is quite difficult for many students).
- Using knowledge of ABC order.
- Finding words in a glossary and distinguishing between the definition of the word and the example sentence.
- Creating an original sentence using the word in context.
Whew! That's an awful lot of great learning from just one weekly practice page!
This set includes 30 weeks worth of vocabulary practice utilizing the Second Grade Treasures reading program. There are 3 formats provided for each week. You can choose the format you like and use it every week, or change it up each week and bring a little more variety into your routine!
***Includes EDITABLE Pages***
If you find that your version of Treasures has slightly different vocabulary words, I've included editable versions of each different format. Just type your words into the text boxes, print and they are ready to use!
The stories that correspond with the weekly vocabulary are as follows:
David's New Friends
Mr. Putter and Tabby Pour The Tea
Family Farm: Then and Now
My Name is Yoon
A Tall Tale: How Does Texas Honor The Battle of San Jacinto?
One Grain of Rice
The Alvin Ailey Kids: Dancing as a Team
Abuelo and the Three Bears
Music of the Stone Age
Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type
Stirring Up Memories
Head, Body, Leg: A Story From Liberia
Officer Buckle and Gloria
A Trip to the Emergency Room
A harbor Seal Pup Grows Up
Mice and Beans
The Tiny Seen
The Ugly Vegetables
Meet the Super Croc
Farfallina and Marcel
Nutik, The Wolf Pup
Dig Wait Listen: A Desert Toad's Tale
Splish! Splash! Animal Baths
A Way To Help Planet Earth
Pushing Up The Sky
For a fun spelling word reading fluency game, click here...
Treasures Second Grade - Zippy Speedy Roll And Read - Spelling / Sight Word Game
Don't Miss Out on TPT Credits:
• Go over to your My Purchases page (you may need to log-in). Beside each purchase you'll see a flashing "Provide Feedback" button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. TPT will give you feedback credits which you can use towards future purchases --- woo hoo! Plus, I value your feedback greatly and I love hearing from my followers. It makes my day!
Be the first to know about my new freebies, products and discounts:
• Look for the green star next to my store logo. Clicking it makes you a follower! You will then receive emails telling you about new products, freebies, discounts and updates!
Keywords: Treasures, Treasures Reading Series, Treasures Spelling, Spelling Word Lists, Spelling Activities, Spelling Practice, Spelling Resources, Spelling Word Sorts, Spelling Word Shapes, Spelling Word Boxes