This lesson is for a class week long project or for children to do as a take home project. It is written, as are all my materials, to be adaptable from small children to high school. I used this lesson when I taught high school and also with my young children at home. Includes a free oxygen coloring page from my Periodic Table of the Elements Coloring Book!
The purpose of this activity is to:
• Develop awareness for trees as living things
• Find the height of a tree
• Learn data collecting techniques about trees, used in tree science and in ecology
• Learn the role trees play on the planet including in the oxygen cycle.
• Learn about oxygen through color
• Learn the identifying parts of a tree and how to speak scientifically about them.
• Incorporate the arts into science using drawings, trees as inspiration for writing and giving human-like qualities to non-human living things, using this as prompts for creative thinking and creative writing.