A person building a treehouse has a number of jobs to complete: finding the tree, getting the wood, cutting the wood, nailing the boards, decorating, etc. Just like a person building a treehouse, final silent "e" has a number of jobs.
1. It makes the vowel long in a vowel-consonant-e syllable
2. It makes "c" and "g" say the soft sound
3. It keeps "u" and "v" from being the last letter in words
4. It adds a vowel to a consonant-le syllable
5. It keeps a word from ending in "s" and appearing plural
This file contains a word sort for the jobs of "e" and a card game to practice reading these words. If your students have not yet learned all the jobs of "e", use the ones they know and add the others as they learn them.
Page 1 - Cover Sheet
Page 2 - Contents and Directions
Page 3-4 - Header cards for the jobs of final silent "e"
Page 5-9 - Word cards to use for the syllable sort and card game (a total of 50 cards)
Page 10 - Tree, wood, nails, hammer, and saw cards to add to the word cards for the card game
Page 11 - Blank word cards for you to add your own words
Page 12 - Back Cover
Be careful! In some words, "e" may have more than one job!