This activity allows students to practice the Trigonometric Identities. Students will be using the Pythagorean Identities and Reciprocal Identities to find the three matching pieces that form a triangle.
Scrabbled Sheet – 2 pages
Solutions – 2 pages
1. Copy a class set of the Scrabbled Trig Triangles.
2. Each student will need a pair of scissors and a glue stick. You may also choose to give out construction paper for the students to use for gluing their final answers. (Students can glue to a sheet of notebook paper as well.)
3. Instruct the students to cut out each triangle piece.
4. Then the students must match the three equivalent pieces to form a new, correct triangle.
5. Suggest that students be sure of their match before gluing.
6. When the students are sure of their match, glue the three pieces together either on the construction paper or on their piece of notebook paper.
You may choose to collect this activity as a classwork grade or as a quiz. An answer key is included for easy grading! The solutions show the correct matching for all of the Trig Triangles.
This activity can still be completed with using just 1 page of the Trig Triangles. Depending on how much class time you have allotted, each page of the activity has the matching pieces for the students to complete correctly.
*I have also used this activity in my IB Math Studies class.
Note: This activity is included in my Trigonometry Unit – Bundle of Resources
. Check it out if you are interested in purchasing this resource, along with others, at a discounted rate!
For additional resources for Trigonometry, check out:
Angles of Elevation and Depression: Real Life Applications of Trigonometry
Coterminal Angles and Radian/Degree Conversions – Row Relay
Evaluating Trig Expressions with Sum and Difference Formulas - Riddle Worksheet
Graping the Tangent Function – Discovery Learning Notes
Identifying Amplitude and Period of Sine and Cosine Graphs – Stained Glass
Law of Sines and Law of Cosines – Guided Notes
Practice with Law of Sines and Law of Cosines – Worksheet
Right Triangle Trigonometry - Centers
Sine and Cosine Graphs – Snowflake Cut-Out Activity
Solving Trig Equations – Riddle Worksheet
Trig Coterminal Angles (in Degrees) – Square Puzzle
Trig Identities #1 – People Search
Trig Identities #2 – People Search
Trig Memory Game – Learning the 1st Quadrant
Trig Triangles: Practicing Trigonometric Identities
Trig Values from the Unit Circle – Square Puzzle
Trigonometry Test Review – Worksheet and Solutions
Trigonometry Unit – Word Wall
Unit on Trigonometry – Warm-ups and Practice Problems (.ppt)