What is TRIVIA DUNGEON?
Trivia Dungeon is a dungeon crawler-based, trivia/review game. Dungeon crawlers require players to move through a labyrinth and battle monsters all using the roll of dice. I’ve taken the “battling monsters” part and applied it to a linear trivia game. The end goal? Be the first to defeat all four minor bosses and the one Final Boss. (Look above and check out the preview video!)
How is it played?
Players take turns rolling dice and moving along the stone path. Along the way, they may land on spaces that may cause them to move forward, move backward, lose their next turn, get a second roll, or require them to correctly answer a trivia question before getting to move on.
Eventually, players will make their way to the first of four different minor bosses. Each minor boss is found in the four corners of the gameboard. Once a player arrives at a minor boss, they must “battle” that boss by correctly answering trivia cards. For each card that is answered correctly, the player will roll the dice. The amount rolled is deducted from the minor boss’ hit points (HP). Once a player reduces a boss’ HP to zero, that player may move on.
After defeating all four minor bosses, a player will roll and move until they reach the Final Boss. The Final Boss is defeated the same way as the minor bosses, the difference being that the Final Boss will have more HP. Defeating the Final Boss will require more correctly answered trivia and more rolls of the dice.
The first player to defeat all four minor bosses and the Final Boss, wins the game.
See the game played between myself and Mr. Hickman! (Until he can get a chance to play the game with me, here's a video of me playing against myself and explaining possible situations):
►►GAMEPLAY and POSSIBILITIES
►►Trivia Dungeon: Terry VS Hickman
Important to know:
Playing a single game can either be long or short – it all depends on the dice used, number of players, the HP assigned to bosses, and players’ knowledge of the trivia. If players are using a single six-sided die for movement and battles… it’s going to be an extremely long game. If players use too many dice or too large of a dice, it’ll be a very short game. In the rules, I’ve provided “Dice Calculations” to give the players/teacher an idea of what dice to use to make a game that is fun but doesn’t drag on.
What comes with the BASIC SETUP?
►Assembly and Printing Instructions
►8 game board pieces
– print them on card stock and in color. Once these are printed, cut them out and secure them to a piece of foam board. The size of foam board that you’ll need must be at least 18x24 inches. When I made my board, I secured the pieces to a 20x30 inch board, and then used a razor to trim off excess board.
►Boss Card Page
– these are the bosses of the dungeon. There are 15 total… any five can be used during a game, so the players have the option of changing it up from one game to the next. It’s best to print these on card stock and in color. The Boss Card file has a second page with small cut-outs that can be used to prop the Boss Cards upright.
►Score Card Page
– this page has a set of score cards that players can use to record their hits on the minor bosses and Final Boss. The players may assign a specific amount of hit points for each boss on the score cards.
►Trivia Card Box
– this page has a cut-out that can be folded and then taped together to make a box that holds the set of trivia cards being used.
►Game Rule Pamphlet
– although the game rules are printed on the game board itself, this pamphlet will be available to print a separate set of game rules. This pamphlet will have the rules in larger font so that it will be easier to read.
►Lab Safety and Procedure Trivia Cards
– this set of trivia cards that come with the Basic Set gives you the opportunity to try out the game before purchasing any of the expansion packs. There are 160 cards in this pack!
– Do you like this game but teach a different subject other than science? This is your opportunity to make your own set of cards with questions and answers that you choose. This game can be modified for History, Geography, Social Studies, ELA, Math, or even pop culture... all by making your own questions! The editable cards come in color and in black/white.
What is NOT included, but will be required?
►Dice. You will be required to get dice for this game. I suggest buying a six pack of six-sided dice or a set of polyhedral dice… these will include 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, and 20-sided dice. I would personally a combination of two polyhedral dice such as the 10 and 8 or the 12 and 6.
►Foam Board. You will need to buy a piece of foam board that is at least 18x24 inches. The foam board is used as a base for the gameboard cut-outs. I suggest using double-sided tape
to secure the pieces to the foam board.
►Game Pieces. Every player must have a piece to represent them. You can buy these at hobby stores or Wal-Mart. The ones you see in the pictures and video are wooden and were bought at Hobby Lobby. I spray-painted them to make them unique.
EXPANSION PACKS AVAILABLE!
If you like the BASIC SET and you think you’ll find this game useful for review and fun throughout the year, then you’ll want to get the expansion packs! They are sold by grade level and unit! Click the links below to see what is available so far:
FIFTH GRADE SCIENCE
5th Grade Unit 1 through 3
5th Grade Unit 4 through 6
5th Grade Unit 7 through 9
SIXTH GRADE SCIENCE
6th Grade Unit 1 through 3
6th Grade Unit 4 through 5
6th Grade Unit 6 through 8
6th Grade Unit 9 through 10
SEVENTH GRADE SCIENCE
7th Grade Unit 1 through 3
7th Grade Unit 4 through 5
7th Grade Unit 6 through 7
7th Grade Unit 8 through 9
EIGHTH GRADE SCIENCE
Will there be EXPANSION PACK BUNDLES? Yes!
However, the Expansion Pack Bundles will only include the expansion packs themselves... the BASIC SETUP will still have to be purchased individually. Click the links below to see the bundles that are available:
5th Grade COMPLETE Expansion Pack
6th Grade COMPLETE Expansion Pack
7th Grade COMPLETE Expansion Pack
Copyright © Travis Terry. All rights reserved by author. This product is to be used only by the original downloader/customer. Copying for more than one teacher, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Intended for classroom and personal use ONLY.