PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
This freebee printable for reading about the true story of Pocahontas reading comprehension activity and song is written as a reading passage with multiple choice questions and other reading activities. The song teaches students about the real life of Pocahontas and her contribution to Jamestown. These activities all refer to the song for reading comprehension. The song can be accessed on YouTube for students to listen to as part of the activity.
The song is written as a Pocahontas biography and is perfect for teaching Pocahontas to upper elementary students as it is told at a moderate pace using rap and pop music elements. It also addresses Virginia Studies SOL .3F - describing the hardships faced by settlers at Jamestown and the changes that took place to ensure survival, and .3G - describing the interactions between the English settlers and the native peoples, including the contributions of Powhatan to the survival of the settlers.
This activity includes:
- the song lyrics
- multiple-choice comprehension questions with the answer key
- a context clues activity: students will define content vocabulary words using context clues in the "True Story of Pocahontas for Kids" song
- a timeline activity with a graphic organizer
- a sequential paragraph activity that utilizes the timeline
How to use this activity:
- Students will preview the questions on pages 1 and 2 then listen to the song while following along with the lyrics on pages 3 and 4.
- Next, students will answer the questions on pages 1 and 2.
- Students will then answer the questions on the following pages.
- The answer key for pages 1, 2, and 5 are located on pages 8, 9, and 10.
You may also like:
*Disclaimer: Rap Opera for Kids is not affiliated with the Disney or Marvel brands in any way. Rap Opera for Kids provides educational commentary, parody, and criticism of popular works in order to supplement classroom instruction.
*Photo By cliff1066 (2008-08-26) - Flickr, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=7353960