This self-guided or whole class lesson is an excellent tool that I have used to introduce, reteach, and strengthen truisms and theme in my students' writing.
Students will be able to:
- Define truisms and theme
- Identify strong truisms as well as weak ones
- Recall themes and truisms from familiar films
- Practice creating original truisms from the following:
*short films embedded in the Google site
*symbolic images in the Google site
- Recreate strong truisms with expository text and prompts in mind
Included in this bundle are:
- An originally created Goggle site link (This site includes it all! - a home page with instructions for students as well as introductory/explanatory videos; embedded images, prompts, and videos; a short quiz on the difference between cliché and meaningful truisms)
- A student instruction PowerPoint slide
- A student handout to be completed as students work through the Google site lesson
This lesson has strong application in writing truisms in expository text, but it could also easily be adapted for personal narratives or short stories.