Turk and Runt by Lisa Wheeler is part of my Literacy Center Series for Emergent Readers. Book Talk: Turk's parents are so proud of him and they see a great future for him. Turk's little brother, Runt, sees that Turk is headed towards becoming Thanksgiving dinner. Everyone ignores him, until another visitor comes to the farm looking for a turkey who is "just the right size." Runt fortunately, manages to save the day! (You will need to provide your own copy of the book.)
This set of Literacy Centers will provide meaningful engagement and follow-up to this well-loved story.
Of the 10 centers in this collection, 4 of them are used each day throughout the week. These centers are of the type that children enjoy repeating and continue to use very productively.
The Daily Centers are:
• Writing the Room
• Reading and Writing Fluency Triangles
• Concentration Game
• I Can Spy the Words
The Project Center is also a daily center, but the content changes each day. During this time, the child completes one activity each day within the rotation time block. These 6 centers are in black and white, ready for you to run off as class sets.
The 6 Project Centers are:
• Emergent Build-A-Word Reading Book
• Story Text Poetry Book addition
• Retelling Story Headband craftivity
• Word and Picture Initial Sound Match
• Fill-in-the-Blank-missing words from the story
• I Can Label It!-thematic picture
In addition, 2 bonus items are included in this pack:
• Pocket Chart Pictures in color
• Turk and Runt story text, in color, for the class poetry book
As teachers, we know how important it is for students to form meaningful connections to the stories they read and hear. These activities are designed to provide that support for story content, literary elements and reading fluency. These activities can also assist in the development of phonemic awareness, as well as help develop an understanding of vocabulary, syntax, and story structure. There is so much to love about children's literature!
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you.
• Do you like this lesson, but are not ready to buy it just yet? Just put it on your WISH LIST or “Pin It” so you don’t lose this item! ☺
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches:
• Look for the green star near the top of any page within my store and click it to become a follower. You will then receive customized email updates about new products.
With thanks-kinder tweets