PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
This turkey glyph is an excellent activity for reading and following directions, and requires problem solving, communication, and data organization. It has the students coloring or putting different items on a turkey based on information about themselves. Students are to finish the turkey glyph using the seven categories listed below.
1) Draw a hat on the turkey (girl or a boy?)
2) Creating a color pattern for pets or no pets.
3) Coloring the wings based on whether or not they wear glasses.
4) Writing a greeting based on how many live in their house.
5) Do you like reading or watching TV the best?
6) How they get to school. (ride or walk)
7) Pumpkins (number of letters in first name)
Examples of the first two categories can be viewed on the preview version of the handout. So that each student has the same picture to begin with, a printable outline of a turkey is provided on page five of this activity.
At the end of the activity is a completed turkey glyph. Reading the completed glyph and interpreting the information represented is a skill that requires deeper thinking by the student. Students must be able to analyze the information presented in visual form. A glyph such as this one is very appropriate to use in the CCSS data management strand of math. An answer key is included.
If you like this glyph, you also may want to purchase:
You can purchase six of my glyphs in a bundle. By buying the bundle, you will save about 20%. Check it out at: